Sunday 21 October 2012

Homemade Mayonnaise



I was excited and very nervous to try this but glad i finally took the plunge!! I don't care for the taste of store bought mayo or salad dressing so I really like this version PLUS I know what is in it and I can pronounce all the ingredients :)
1 egg  (I used Pastured eggs which greatly reduces the likely hood of salmonella.) 
1/2 cup olive oil (NOT Extra Virgin or Virgin, just plain and simple olive oil or the flavor will be to strong)
1/2 cup Macadamia nut oil
1 TBSP Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar
1/2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
sea salt to taste
a dash of cayenne  

NOTE: I used 1 cup of light tasting olive oil

This first step is optional, and I am not  sure that it really does anything, but for some reason it eases my mind with the whole raw egg thing.  Take a mug 3/4 full of hot boiling water, add the whole egg STILL IN THE SHELL, and let sit for 1 minute.  Then remove and crack immediately adding to the food processor (it will have a somewhat milky look to it but should not be cooked, it should still be runny).Then using a food processor, combine the egg, cider and mustard on low for a few seconds.  Then VERY SLOWLY, this is important, VERY SLOWLY, add the oils.  After you have added the oils slowly and it is combined add your seasoning to taste. (i added cayene, cajun spice, salt and pepper)

*This recipe is from budgetpaleo.blogspot.ca and is a version of Sarah Fragoso's, Everyday Paleo Mayo* 



Not sure how long this will last in the fridge but I would probably use this up within a few days. 

1 comment: