Saturday 22 September 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

This recipe is a keeper :) I found it at the following website:

http://lindawagner.net/blog/2012/01/grain-free-gluten-free-low-carb-cauliflower-pizza-crust-recipe/

For the crust you’ll need:
  • 1 very large head of cauliflower (about 4 cups total after steaming and processing)
  • 4oz Garlic & Herb chèvre (soft) style goat cheese
  • 1 egg
Toppings:
  • marinara sauce of choice (I try to use brands with as few ingredients as possible)
  • 6-8oz shredded goat mozzarella
  • several basil leaves sliced thin (chiffonade style)
NOTE: the first time I made this I used a bit of pasta sauce for the sauce and it was perfect. the second time, I made the crust thinner (I suggest you don't) and used some salsa  I had in the fridge. I found it too wet so recommend you don't use salsa, perhaps crushed tomatoes or  something thicker but it is a GOOD idea to make sure your crust is not too thin - trial and error !!!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
The pics below are from the website....mine are at the end :)
Roughly chop cauliflower and process in a food processor. Mix until a fine “rice” like consistency is achieved.
Add cauliflower to boiling water to steam for about 6-7mins. Strain in a fine mesh strainer. Then place in the middle of a clean large dish towel and let cool.
Next, pull the sides of the dish towel together and twist to squeeze the remaining moisture out.
In a large mixing bowl use a spatula (or your hands!) to mix the strained cauliflower, egg and goat cheese. You can also add fresh herbs if you like, I added basil and oregano.
Combine ingredients well and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (VERY important) . Use your hands to form a thin, even layer. you can keep the sides raised a little higher as a “crust”.
Bake in the middle rack of the oven for about 35-40mins. Once the crust is done, add your marinara and shredded goat cheese. Broil for just a few mins until cheese is melted. Remove pizza from the oven and sprinkle chopped basil on top.
Slice and serve! If you have a cooling rack, it helps retain the firmness of the crust so you can eat it easily by hand.
NOW, here are my pics!!! (the first is before baking)

after 35 minutes, I added the toppings (beef, peppers, mushroom and cheese)



I wish i had broiled it longer but I was too hungry :)


See! you can even pick it up like a real pizza crust! yum yum!!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete